dhē(i)- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root dhē(i)-: affiliate, effeminate, effete, endothelium, epithelium, fawn, fecund, felicific, felicitate, felicity, fellatio, female, feminine, fennel, fetus, filial, filiation, fils, finocchio, hidalgo, infelicity, sainfoin, superfetate, theelin.
To suck.Oldest form *dheh1(i)-, becoming *dhē(i)-.
▲ Derivatives include female, fawn2, fetus, fennel, affiliate.
1. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-mnā-. female, feminine, femme; effeminate from Latin fēmina, woman (< "she who suckles").
2. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-to-. fawn2, fetal, fetus; effete, feticide, superfetate from Latin fētus, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring, with adjective fētus, fēta, pregnant.
3. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-kwondo-. fecund from Latin fēcundus, fruitful.
4. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-no-. fennel, finochio; fenugreek, sainfoin from Latin fēnum, faenum, hay (< "produce").
5. Probably suffixed zero-grade form *dhī-lyo- (< *dhiə-lyo-) filial, filiation, fils1; affiliate, hidalgo from Latin fīlius, son, and fīlia, daughter (but these are conceivably from the root bheuə-)
6. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-lo-. fellatio from Latin fēlāre, fellāre, to suck.
7. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-l-īk-. felicitate, felicity; felicific, infelicity from Latin fēlīx, fruitful, fertile, lucky, happy.
8. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-lā-. endothelium, epithelium, mesothelium from Greek thēlē, nipple.
9. Suffixed reduced form *dhē-l-u-. theelin from Greek thēlus, female.
[Pokorny dhē(i)- 241.]