dheigh- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root dheigh-: configure, dairy, disfigure, dough, effigy, feign, fictile, fiction, figment, figure, lady, paradise, prefigure, teiglach, thigmotaxis, thixotropy, transfigure.
To form, build.Oldest form *dheig̑h-, becoming *dheigh- in centum languages.
▲ Derivatives include dairy, lady, dough, paradise.
1. dairy from Old English dǣge, bread kneader, from Germanic *daigjōn-.
2. lady from Old English compound hlǣfdige, mistress of a household (< "bread kneader"; hlāf, bread, loaf), from Germanic *dīg-.
3. Suffixed o-grade form *dhoigh-o-.
a. dough from Old English dāg, dough;
b. teiglach from Old High German teic, dough. Both a and b from Germanic *daigaz.
4. Suffixed zero-grade form *dhigh-ūrā-. figure, figurine; configure, disfigure, prefigure, transfigure from Latin figūra, form, shape (< "result of kneading").
5. Nasalized zero-grade form *dhi-n-gh-. fainéant, faint, feign, feint, fictile, fiction, figment; effigy from Latin fingere, to shape.
6. Probable nasalized zero-grade form *dhi-n-g(h)-. thigmotaxis, thixotropy from Greek thinganein, to touch.
7. Suffixed o-grade form *dhoigh-o-. paradise from Avestan daēza-, wall (originally made of clay or mud bricks).
[Pokorny dheig̑h- 244.]