pō(i)- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root pō(i)-: beer, beverage, bib, bibulous, hibachi, imbibe, pierogi, pinocytosis, poison, potable, potation, potatory, potion, symposium.
To drink.Oldest form *peh3(i)-, colored to *poh3(i)-.
I. Basic form *pō(i)-, reduced to *pō- (< *poh3-).
1. Suffixed form *pō-to-. potable, potation, potatory from Latin pōtus, drunk; a drink (whence pōtāre, to drink).
2. Suffixed form *pō-ti-. poison, potion from Latin pōtiō, a drink.
3. Suffixed form *pō-tlo-, drinking vessel. hibachi from Sanskrit pātram, cup, bowl.
4. Suffixed reduplicated zero-grade form *pi-pə-o- (oldest form *pi-ph3-o-), whence *pi-bo-, assimilated to *bi-bo-. beer, beverage, bib, bibulous; imbibe, imbrue from Latin bibere, to drink.
5. Suffixed zero-grade form *pə-ti- (oldest form *ph3-ti-), *po-ti-. symposium from Greek posis, drink, drinking.
II. Zero-grade form *pī- (< *piə-).
1. Suffixed form *pī-ro-. pierogi, pirozhki from Slavic *pirŭ, feast (Old Church Slavonic pirŭ).
2. Suffixed (nasal present) form *pī-no-. pinocytosis from Greek pīnein, to drink.
[Pokorny 2. pō(i)- 839.]