milkweed(redirected from a. syriaca)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Any of various plants of the genus Asclepias, having milky juice, usually opposite leaves, variously colored flowers grouped in umbels, and pods that split open to release seeds with downy tufts.
1. (Plants) Also called: silkweed any plant of the mostly North American genus Asclepias, having milky sap and pointed pods that split open to release tufted seeds: family Asclepiadaceae. See also asclepias
2. (Plants) any of various other plants having milky sap
3. (Plants) orange milkweed another name for butterfly weed
4. (Animals) another name for monarch3
1. any of several plants of the genus Asclepias, characterized by a milky juice, clusters of white-to-purple flowers, and pods filled with silky tufted seeds.
2. any of various other plants having a milky juice, as certain spurges.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||milkweed - any of numerous plants of the genus Asclepias having milky juice and pods that split open releasing seeds with downy tufts|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Asclepias albicans, white milkweed - tall herb with leafless white waxy stems and whitish starlike flowers; southwestern United States
Asclepias curassavica, blood flower, swallowwort - tropical herb having orange-red flowers followed by pods suggesting a swallow with outspread wings; a weed throughout the tropics
Asclepias exaltata, poke milkweed - milkweed of the eastern United States with leaves resembling those of pokeweed
Asclepias incarnata, swamp milkweed - densely branching perennial of the eastern United States with white to crimson or purple flowers
Asclepia meadii, Asclepias meadii, Mead's milkweed - milkweed of central North America; a threatened species
Asclepias purpurascens, purple silkweed - perennial of eastern North America having pink-purple flowers
Asclepias speciosa, showy milkweed - milkweed of southern North America having large starry purple and pink flowers
Asclepias subverticillata, horsetail milkweed, poison milkweed - milkweed of southwestern United States and Mexico; poisonous to livestock
Asclepias tuberosa, butterfly weed, chigger flower, chiggerflower, Indian paintbrush, orange milkweed, pleurisy root, tuber root - erect perennial of eastern and southern United States having showy orange flowers
|2.||milkweed - annual Eurasian sow thistle with soft spiny leaves and rayed yellow flower heads|