Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to abbé: Abbé Sieyès
a member of the French secular clergy; a title of respect for any ecclesiastic
Not to be confused with:
abbey – a monastery under the supervision of an abbott or a convent under the supervision of an abbess
n. Roman Catholic Church
1. Used as a title for the superior of a monastery in a French-speaking area.
2. Used as a title for a cleric in major or minor orders in a French-speaking area.
[French, from Old French abbe, from Late Latin abbās, abbāt-, abbot; see abbot.]
Abbe(ˈæbɪ; German ˈaːbə)
(Biography) Ernst. 1840–1905, German physicist, noted for his work in optics and the microscope condenser known as the Abbe condenser
abbé(ˈæbeɪ; French abe)
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a French abbot
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a title used in addressing any other French cleric, such as a priest
ab•bé(æˈbeɪ, ˈæb eɪ)
n., pl. -bés.
(esp. in France)
1. a member of the secular clergy.
2. a title of respect for any ecclesiastic or clergyman.
[1520–30; < French, Middle French < Late Latin abbātem, acc. of abbās abbot]
A French word meaning a priest.