Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Failing to accomplish an intended objective; fruitless: an abortive attempt to conclude the negotiations.
2. Biology Partially or imperfectly developed: an abortive organ.
3. Causing or meant to cause abortion; abortifacient.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. biology imperfect development; rudimentary nature
2. formal failure to achieve a purpose; fruitlessness
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014