Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. ab·sorbed, ab·sorb·ing, ab·sorbs
1. To take (something) in through or as through pores or interstices.
a. To occupy the attention, interest, or time of; engross: The problem completely absorbed her. See Synonyms at engross.
b. To take up or occupy (one's time or interest, for example).
3. To retain (radiation or sound, for example) wholly, without reflection or transmission.
4. To take in; assimilate: immigrants who were absorbed into the social mainstream.
5. To learn; acquire: "Matisse absorbed the lesson and added to it a new language of color" (Peter Plagen).
6. To receive (an impulse) without echo or recoil: a fabric that absorbs sound; a bumper that absorbs impact.
7. To assume or pay for (a cost or costs).
8. To endure; accommodate: couldn't absorb the additional hardships.
9. To use up; consume: The project has absorbed all of our department's resources.
[Middle English, to swallow up, from Old French absorber, from Latin absorbēre : ab-, away; see ab-1 + sorbēre, to suck.]
engrossed; deeply interested
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||absorbed - giving or marked by complete attention to; "that engrossed look or rapt delight"; "then wrapped in dreams"; "so intent on this fantastic...narrative that she hardly stirred"- Walter de la Mare; "rapt with wonder"; "wrapped in thought"|
attentive - (often followed by `to') giving care or attention; "attentive to details"; "the nurse was attentive to her patient"; "an attentive suitor"
|2.||absorbed - retained without reflection; "the absorbed light intensity"|
unreflected - (especially of incident sound or light) not turned back by physical reflection
1. engrossed, lost, involved, fixed, concentrating, occupied, engaged, gripped, fascinated, caught up, intrigued, wrapped up, preoccupied, immersed, riveted, captivated, enthralled, rapt, up to your ears They were completely absorbed in each other.
absorbed[əbˈzɔːrbd] adj (= engrossed) → absorbé(e)
to be absorbed in sth → être absorbé(e) par qch
to be absorbed in one's work → être absorbé(e) par son travail, être tout(e) entier/ière à son travail
to be absorbed in a book → être plongé(e) dans un livre
to be absorbed in doing sth → être absorbé(e) à faire qch
to be absorbed in each other → être fascinés l'un par l'autre