Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Abysmal; unfathomable.
2. Of or relating to the great depths of the oceans.
3. Of or relating to the region of the ocean bottom between the bathyal and hadal zones, from depths of approximately 2,000 to 6,000 meters (6,500 to 20,000 feet).
1. (Physical Geography) of or belonging to the ocean depths, esp below 2000 metres (6500 feet): abyssal zone.
2. (Geological Science) geology another word for plutonic
1. of or like an abyss; immeasurable; unfathomable.
2. of or pertaining to the biogeographic zone of the ocean bottom between the bathyal and hadal zones, from depths of approximately 13,000 to 21,000 ft. (4000 to 6500 m).
[1685–95; < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||abyssal - relating to ocean depths from 2000 to 5000 meters|
|2.||abyssal - resembling an abyss in depth; so deep as to be unmeasurable; "the abyssal depths of the ocean"|
deep - having great spatial extension or penetration downward or inward from an outer surface or backward or laterally or outward from a center; sometimes used in combination; "a deep well"; "a deep dive"; "deep water"; "a deep casserole"; "a deep gash"; "deep massage"; "deep pressure receptors in muscles"; "deep shelves"; "a deep closet"; "surrounded by a deep yard"; "hit the ball to deep center field"; "in deep space"; "waist-deep"