Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to accentual: accentual system
1. Of or relating to accent.
2. Based on stress accents: accentual rhythm; accentual verse.
[From Latin accentus, accent; see accent.]
1. of, relating to, or having accents; rhythmic
2. (Poetry) prosody of or relating to verse based on the number of stresses in a line rather than on the number of syllables. Compare quantitative3
ac•cen•tu•al(ækˈsɛn tʃu əl)
1. of or pertaining to accent or stress.
2. pertaining to or based on stress rather than the number or duration of syllables: accentual meter.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||accentual - of or pertaining to accent or stress|
|2.||accentual - (of verse) having a metric system based on stress rather than syllables or quantity; "accentual poetry is based on the number of stresses in a line"; "accentual rhythm"|
quantitative - (of verse) having a metric system based on relative duration of syllables; "in typical Greek and Latin verse of the classical period the rhymic system is based on some arrangement of long and short elements"
syllabic - (of verse) having lines based on number of syllables rather than on rhythmical arrangement of stresses or quantities