lung(redirected from accessory lung)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Either of two spongy, saclike respiratory organs in air-breathing vertebrates, occupying the chest cavity together with the heart and functioning to provide oxygen to the blood while removing carbon dioxide.
2. A similar organ in some invertebrates, including spiders and terrestrial snails.
at the top of (one's) lungs
As loudly as one's voice will allow.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) either one of a pair of spongy saclike respiratory organs within the thorax of higher vertebrates, which oxygenate the blood and remove its carbon dioxide
2. (Zoology) any similar or analogous organ in other vertebrates or in invertebrates
3. at the top of one's lungs in one's loudest voice; yelling
[Old English lungen; related to Old High German lungun lung. Compare lights2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. either of the two saclike respiratory organs in the thorax of humans and other air-breathing vertebrates.
2. an analogous organ in certain invertebrates, as arachnids.
[before 1000; lungen, Old English, c. Middle Dutch longe, Old High German lungun]
lunged (lʌŋd) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Either of two spongy organs in the chest of air-breathing vertebrate animals that serve as the organs of gas exchange. Blood flowing through the lungs picks up oxygen from inhaled air and releases carbon dioxide, which is exhaled. Air enters and leaves the lungs through the bronchial tubes.
2. A similar organ found in some invertebrates.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
lung- Goes back to an Indo-European word for "light," because of the lightness of the organ.
See also related terms for organs.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lung - either of two saclike respiratory organs in the chest of vertebrates; serves to remove carbon dioxide and provide oxygen to the blood|
bronchial artery - arteries that accompany the bronchioles
pulmonary vein, vena pulmonalis - any of four veins that carry arterial blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart
alveolar bed - lung tissue densely packed with alveoli
lobe of the lung - any of the three lobes of the right lung or the two lobes of the left lung
lower respiratory tract - the bronchi and lungs
respiratory organ - any organ involved in the process of respiration
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
A. N → pulmón m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
one of the pair of organs of breathing, in man and other animals. long رِئَه бял дроб pulmão plíce die Lunge lunge πνεύμοναςpulmón kops ریه keuhko poumonריאה फेफड़ा plućno krilo tüdő paru-paru lunga polmone 肺 허파, 폐 plautis plauša paru-paru longlungepłuco سږى،ششونه pulmão plămân лёгкое pľúca pljučno krilo pluća lunga ปอด akciğer 肺 легеня پھیپھڑا phổi 肺
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
lung→ رِئَةٌ plíce lunge Lunge πνεύμονας pulmón keuhko poumon pluća polmone 肺 폐 long lunge płuco pulmão легкое lunga ปอด akciğer phổi 肺
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. pulmón, órgano par de la respiración contenido dentro de la cavidad pleural del tórax que se conecta con la faringe a través de la tráquea y la laringe;
air containing ___ → ___ aireado;
___ abscess → absceso pulmonar;
___ cancer → cáncer del ___;
___ capacities → volumen pulmonar;
___ collapse → colapso del ___;
___ diseases → neumopatías;
___ elasticity → elasticidad pulmonar;
___ hemorrhage → hemorragia pulmonar;
quiet ___ → ___ silencioso.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
lungn pulmón m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.