Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An expression of approval; praise.
b. A special acknowledgment; an award.
2. A ceremonial embrace, as of greeting or salutation.
3. Ceremonial bestowal of knighthood.
tr.v. ac·co·lad·ed, ac·co·lad·ing, ac·co·lades
To praise or honor: "His works are invariably accoladed as definitive even as they sparkle and spark" (Malcolm S. Forbes).
1. strong praise or approval; acclaim
2. an award or honour
3. (Historical Terms) the ceremonial gesture used to confer knighthood, originally an embrace, now a touch on the shoulder with a sword
4. (Classical Music) a rare word for brace7
5. (Architecture) architect a curved ornamental moulding, esp one having the shape of an ogee arch
[C17: via French and Italian from Vulgar Latin accollāre (unattested) to hug; related to Latin collum neck]
ac•co•lade(ˈæk əˌleɪd, -ˌlɑd; ˌæk əˈleɪd, -ˈlɑd)
1. any award, honor, or laudatory notice.
2. a light touch on the shoulder with the flat side of the sword, given in conferring knighthood.
3. Music. a brace joining several staves.
4. an ornamental molding over a door, window, or arch, having the form of an ogee arch.
[1615–25; < French, derivative of a(c)colée embrace (with -ade -ade1)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||accolade - a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"|
aliyah - (Judaism) the honor of being called up to the reading desk in the synagogue to read from the Torah; "he was called on for an aliyah"
academic degree, degree - an award conferred by a college or university signifying that the recipient has satisfactorily completed a course of study; "he earned his degree at Princeton summa cum laude"
citation, commendation - an official award (as for bravery or service) usually given as formal public statement
honorable mention, mention - an official recognition of merit; "although he didn't win the prize he did get special mention"
varsity letter, letter - an award earned by participation in a school sport; "he won letters in three sports"
laurel wreath, medal, decoration, ribbon, medallion, palm - an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event
trophy - an award for success in war or hunting
symbol - an arbitrary sign (written or printed) that has acquired a conventional significance
Emmy - an annual award by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for outstanding achievements in television
Nobel prize - an annual award for outstanding contributions to chemistry or physics or physiology and medicine or literature or economics or peace
Academy Award, Oscar - an annual award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for achievements in motion picture production and performance
Prix de Rome - an annual prize awarded by the French government in a competition of painters and artists and sculptors and musicians and architects; the winner in each category receives support for a period of study in Rome
Prix Goncourt - an award given annually for contributions to French literature
1. Recognition of achievement or superiority or a sign of this:
2. Something given in return for a service or accomplishment:
Idiom: token of appreciation.