Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to acetabulum: hip joint
n. pl. ac·e·tab·u·la (-lə)
1. Anatomy The cup-shaped cavity at the base of the hipbone into which the ball-shaped head of the femur fits.
2. Zoology A cavity or socket in the body of an insect into which an appendage fits.
3. Zoology A cup-shaped structure, such as the sucker of a tapeworm or leech.
[Latin acētābulum, vinegar cup, from acētum, vinegar; see acetum.]
ac′e·tab′u·lar (-lər) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Anatomy) the deep cuplike cavity on the side of the hipbone that receives the head of the thighbone
2. (Zoology) a round muscular sucker in flatworms, leeches, and cephalopod molluscs
3. (Zoology) the aperture in the thorax of an insect that holds the leg
[Latin: vinegar cup, hence a cuplike cavity, from acētum vinegar + -abulum, suffix denoting a container]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ac•e•tab•u•lum(ˌæs ɪˈtæb yə ləm)
n., pl. -la (-lə)
1. the socket in the hipbone that connects with the head of the femur to form the hip joint.
2. any of the suction appendages of a leech, octopus, etc.
3. the depression on the body into which an insect's leg fits.
[1660–70; < Latin: hip socket]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
acetabulum- The socket of the hip bone, into which the head of the femur fits.
See also related terms for socket.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
A socket in the hip bone to take the rounded head of the femur.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||acetabulum - the cup-shaped hollow in the hipbone into which the head of the femur fits to form a ball-and-socket joint|
hipbone, innominate bone - large flaring bone forming one half of the pelvis; made up of the ilium and ischium and pubis
socket - a bony hollow into which a structure fits
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. acetábulo, hueso cóncavo de la cadera.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.