Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to acetal: hemiacetal
1. A colorless, flammable, volatile liquid, C6H14O2, used in perfumes and as a solvent.
2. Any of the class of compounds formed by combination of an aldehyde with two equivalent weights of alcohol.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) 1,1-diethoxyethane; a colourless volatile liquid used as a solvent and in perfumes. Formula: CH3CH(OC2H5)2
2. (Elements & Compounds) any organic compound containing the group -CH(OR1)OR2, where R1 and R2 are other organic groups
[C19: from German Azetal, from aceto- + alcohol]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a colorless liquid, C6H14O2, used chiefly as a solvent and in making perfume.
2. any of a class of compounds of aldehydes with alcohols.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.