activated(redirected from activated clotting time (ACT))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to activated clotting time (ACT): activated clotting time test
tr.v. ac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing, ac·ti·vates
1. To set in motion; make active or more active.
2. To organize or create (a military unit, for example): activate the National Guard.
3. To treat (sewage) with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition.
4. Chemistry To accelerate a reaction in, as by heat.
5. Physics To make (a substance) radioactive.
6. Biology To convert (a molecule or cell) into a form that carries out a specific action: activate an enzyme; activate B cells.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||activated - (of sewage) treated with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition|
treated - subjected to a physical (or chemical) treatment or action or agent; "the sludge of treated sewage can be used as fertilizer"; "treated timbers resist rot"; "treated fabrics resist wrinkling"
|2.||activated - (of e.g. a molecule) made reactive or more reactive|
natural philosophy, physics - the science of matter and energy and their interactions; "his favorite subject was physics"
reactive - participating readily in reactions; "sodium is a reactive metal"; "free radicals are very reactive"
|3.||activated - rendered active; e.g. rendered radioactive or luminescent or photosensitive or conductive|
active - exerting influence or producing a change or effect; "an active ingredient"
|4.||activated - (military) set up and placed on active assignment; "a newly activated unit"|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
active - engaged in full-time work; "active duty"; "though past retirement age he is still active in his profession"