carrier(redirected from active carrier)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. One that transports or conveys: baggage carriers; a message carrier.
2. One, such as a person, business, or organization, that deals in the transport of passengers or goods.
3. A mechanism or device by which something is conveyed or conducted.
4. Medicine A person or animal that shows no symptoms of a disease but harbors the infectious agent of that disease and is capable of transmitting it to others.
5. Genetics An individual that carries one gene for a particular recessive trait. A carrier does not express the trait but, when mated with another carrier, can produce offspring that do.
6. Physics A boson, especially a gauge boson, that conveys a force or mediates an interaction between subatomic particles.
a. A carrier wave.
b. A charge-carrying entity, especially an electron or a hole in a semiconductor.
8. An aircraft carrier.
9. An insurance or underwriting organization.
10. A telecommunications company.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Peoples) a member of an Athapaskan Native North American people of British Columbia
1. a person, thing, or organization employed to carry goods, passengers, etc
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a mechanism by which something is carried or moved, such as a device for transmitting rotation from the faceplate of a lathe to the workpiece
3. (Pathology) pathol another name for vector3
4. (Pathology) pathol a person or animal that, without having any symptoms of a disease, is capable of transmitting it to others
5. (General Physics) physics Also called: charge carrier an electron, ion, or hole that carries the charge in a conductor or semiconductor
6. (Electronics) short for carrier wave
7. (Chemistry) chem
a. the inert solid on which a dyestuff is adsorbed in forming a lake
b. a substance, such as kieselguhr or asbestos, used to support a catalyst
c. an inactive substance containing a radioisotope used in radioactive tracing
d. an inert gas used to transport the sample through a gas-chromatography column
e. a catalyst that effects the transfer of an atom or group from one molecule to another
8. (Military) See aircraft carrier
9. (Breeds) a breed of domestic fancy pigeon having a large walnut-shaped wattle over the beak; a distinct variety of pigeon from the homing or carrier pigeon. See also carrier pigeon
10. (Automotive Engineering) a US name for roof rack
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
car•ri•er(ˈkær i ər)
1. a person or thing that carries.
2. a postal employee who delivers or collects mail.
3. a person who delivers newspapers or magazines.
a. an individual or company engaged in transporting passengers or goods for profit.
5. an underwriter or insurer.
6. a frame attached to a vehicle for carrying luggage or skis.
8. an individual harboring specific pathogenic organisms who, though often immune to the agent harbored, may transmit the agent to others.
a. an individual with an unexpressed recessive genetic trait.
b. the bearer of a defective gene.
10. Also called car′rier wave`. the radio wave whose amplitude, frequency, or phase is to be varied or modulated to transmit a signal.
11. a mechanism by which something is carried or moved.
a. a catalytic agent responsible for the transfer of an element or molecule from one compound to another.
b. a usu. inactive substance that serves as a vehicle for an active substance.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A person or animal that serves as a host for a disease-causing organism and can transmit it to others, but does not have symptoms of the disease. Mosquitoes are carriers of malaria, for example.
2. An organism that carries a gene for a trait but does not show the trait itself. Carriers can produce offspring that express the trait by mating with another carrier of the same gene.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carrier - someone whose employment involves carrying something; "the bonds were transmitted by carrier"|
|2.||carrier - a self-propelled wheeled vehicle designed specifically to carry something; "refrigerated carriers have revolutionized the grocery business"|
self-propelled vehicle - a wheeled vehicle that carries in itself a means of propulsion
|3.||carrier - a large warship that carries planes and has a long flat deck for takeoffs and landings|
arrester, arrester hook - a restraint that slows airplanes as they land on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier
|4.||carrier - an inactive substance that is a vehicle for a radioactive tracer of the same substance and that assists in its recovery after some chemical reaction|
|5.||carrier - a person or firm in the business of transporting people or goods or messages|
line - a commercial organization serving as a common carrier
|6.||carrier - a radio wave that can be modulated in order to transmit a signal|
|7.||carrier - a man who delivers the mail|
|8.||carrier - a boy who delivers newspapers|
|9.||carrier - (medicine) a person (or animal) who has some pathogen to which he is immune but who can pass it on to others|
transmitter, vector - any agent (person or animal or microorganism) that carries and transmits a disease; "mosquitos are vectors of malaria and yellow fever"; "fleas are vectors of the plague"; "aphids are transmitters of plant diseases"; "when medical scientists talk about vectors they are usually talking about insects"
immune - a person who is immune to a particular infection
|10.||carrier - a rack attached to a vehicle; for carrying luggage or skis or the like|
bomb rack - a device on an aircraft for carrying bombs
luggage carrier - carrier (as behind a bicycle seat) for luggage
rack - framework for holding objects
ski rack - a carrier for holding skis on top of a vehicle
|11.||carrier - (genetics) an organism that possesses a recessive gene whose effect is masked by a dominant allele; the associated trait is not apparent but can be passed on to offspring|
organism, being - a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
3. (Med) [of disease] → portador(a) m/f
4. (also aircraft carrier) → portaaviones m inv (also troop carrier) (Aer) → avión m de transporte de tropas (Naut) (= troopship) → barco m de transporte de tropas
6. (Brit) (also carrier bag) → bolsa f (de papel or plástico)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[disease] → porteur/euse m/f
(also aircraft carrier) → porte-avions m inv
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
(= goods haulier) → Spediteur m, → Transportunternehmer m; (= passenger airline) → Fluggesellschaft f
(of disease) → Überträger m
(= luggage rack) → Gepäckträger m
(Brit: also carrier bag) → Tragetasche f, → Tragetüte f
(also carrier pigeon) → Brieftaube f; by carrier (pigeon) → mit der Taubenpost
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
a. (of goods, person) → corriere m; (company) → impresa di trasporti, vettore m
by carrier → per corriere
by carrier → per corriere
b. (Med) (of disease) → portatore/trice
c. (aircraft carrier) → portaerei f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. portador, agente transmisor.
1. una persona o animal que lleva oculto temporalmente un agente patógeno específico al que es inmune, y se convierte en un foco potencial de esa infección a otros;
2. un agente genético que puede convertirse en un foco de infección;
___ state → estado portador;
latent ___ → ___ latente;
manifesting ___ → ___ manifestado;
passive ___ → ___ pasivo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
carriern portador -ra mf; asymptomatic — portador asintomático; hepatitis B carrier..portador de hepatitis B.
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.