equine(redirected from acute equine respiratory syndrome)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to acute equine respiratory syndrome: severe acute respiratory syndrome, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), acute respiratory distress syndrome
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a horse.
2. Of or belonging to the family Equidae, which includes the horses, asses, and zebras.
1. (Zoology) of, relating to, or resembling a horse
2. (Animals) of, relating to, or belonging to the family Equidae, which comprises horses, zebras, and asses
[C18: from Latin equīnus, from equus horse]
e•quine(ˈi kwaɪn, ˈɛk waɪn)
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a horse.n.
2. a horse.
[1770–80; < Latin equīnus=equ(us) horse + -īnus -ine1]
e•quin•i•ty (ɪˈkwɪn ɪ ti) n.
Relating to horses or similar animals, such as donkeys.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||equine - hoofed mammals having slender legs and a flat coat with a narrow mane along the back of the neck|
odd-toed ungulate, perissodactyl, perissodactyl mammal - placental mammals having hooves with an odd number of toes on each foot
mule - hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse; usually sterile
hinny - hybrid offspring of a male horse and a female donkey or ass; usually sterile; "a hinny has a gentler disposition than a mule"
zebra - any of several fleet black-and-white striped African equines
|Adj.||1.||equine - resembling a horse|
|2.||equine - of or belonging to the family Equidae|