Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to acyclic: acyclic compound
1. Botany Not cyclic. Used especially of flowers whose parts are arranged in spirals rather than in whorls, as in magnolias.
2. Chemistry Having an open-chain molecular structure rather than a ring-shaped structure.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) chem not cyclic; having an open chain structure
2. (Botany) botany having flower parts arranged in a spiral rather than a whorl
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•cy•clic(eɪˈsaɪ klɪk, eɪˈsɪk lɪk)
1. not cyclic: an acyclic flower.
2. of or pertaining to a chemical compound not containing a closed chain or ring of atoms.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||acyclic - not cyclic; especially having parts arranged in spirals rather than whorls|
cyclic - forming a whorl or having parts arranged in a whorl; "cyclic petals"; "cyclic flowers"
|2.||acyclic - having an open chain structure|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
cyclic - of a compound having atoms arranged in a ring structure
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.