additive(redirected from additive relationship)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
A substance added in small amounts to something else to improve, strengthen, or otherwise alter it.
1. Marked by, produced by, or involving addition.
2. Of or being any of certain primary colors of wavelengths that may be mixed with one another to produce other colors. See Table at color.
characterized or produced by addition; cumulative
1. any substance added to something to improve it, prevent deterioration, etc
2. (Cookery) short for food additive
[C17: from Late Latin additīvus, from addere to add]
ad•di•tive(ˈæd ɪ tɪv)
1. something that is added, as one substance to another, to alter or improve the quality or to counteract undesirable properties.
a. a substance added directly to food during processing, as for preservation, coloring, or stabilization.
b. something that becomes part of food or affects it as a result of packaging or processing, as debris or radiation.
3. characterized or produced by addition; cumulative: an additive process.
4. (of a mathematical function) having the property that the function of the union or sum of two quantities is equal to the sum of the functional values of each quantity; linear.
[1690–1700; < Late Latin]
A substance that is added in small amounts to something in order to improve its performance or quality, preserve its usefulness, or make it more effective.
1. Being any of the primary colors red, green, or blue, whose wavelengths may be mixed with one another to produce all other colors. See more at color.
2. Mathematics Marked by or involving addition.
A chemical added to a food undergoing an industrial process.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||additive - something added to enhance food or gasoline or paint or medicine|
addition, add-on, improver - a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor"
adjuvant - an additive that enhances the effectiveness of medical treatment
|Adj.||1.||additive - designating or involving an equation whose terms are of the first degree|
|2.||additive - characterized or produced by addition; "an additive process"|
subtractive - constituting or involving subtraction; "a subtractive correction"
additive[ˈædɪtɪv] N → aditivo m
n → Zusatz m
additive[ˈædɪtɪv] n → additivo
additive→ عُنْصُر إِضافِيّ přísada tilsætningsstof Zusatz πρόσθετο aditivo lisäaine additif dodatak additivo 添加剤 첨가물 additief tilsetningsstoff dodatek aditivo добавка tillsatsmedel วัตถุเจือปน katkı maddesi phụ gia 添加剂
n. aditivo, sustancia que se agrega.