adenoid(redirected from adenoidly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
often adenoids A mass of lymphoid tissue located at the back of the nose in the upper part of the throat, normally present only in children, that when infected and swollen can obstruct breathing.
1. Of or relating to the adenoids; adenoidal.
2. Relating to or resembling a gland; glandular.
1. (Anatomy) of or resembling a gland
2. (Anatomy) of or relating to lymphoid tissue, as that found in the lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils, etc
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the adenoids
[C19: from Greek adenoeidēs. See adeno-, -oid]
1. Usu., adenoids. growths of lymphoid tissue in the upper throat: when enlarged, they can block the back of the throat and cause the voice to have a nasal quality.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the adenoids.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adenoid - a collection of lymphatic tissue in the throat behind the uvula (on the posterior wall and roof of the nasopharynx); "hypertrophy of the pharyngeal tonsils is called adenoids"; "enlarged adenoids may restrict the breathing of children"|
|Adj.||1.||adenoid - relating to or resembling lymphatic glands or lymphoid tissue|