adenoid(redirected from adenoidly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
often adenoids A mass of lymphoid tissue located at the back of the nose in the upper part of the throat, normally present only in children, that when infected and swollen can obstruct breathing.
1. Of or relating to the adenoids; adenoidal.
2. Relating to or resembling a gland; glandular.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) of or resembling a gland
2. (Anatomy) of or relating to lymphoid tissue, as that found in the lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils, etc
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the adenoids
[C19: from Greek adenoeidēs. See adeno-, -oid]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Usu., adenoids. growths of lymphoid tissue in the upper throat: when enlarged, they can block the back of the throat and cause the voice to have a nasal quality.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the adenoids.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adenoid - a collection of lymphatic tissue in the throat behind the uvula (on the posterior wall and roof of the nasopharynx); "hypertrophy of the pharyngeal tonsils is called adenoids"; "enlarged adenoids may restrict the breathing of children"|
|Adj.||1.||adenoid - relating to or resembling lymphatic glands or lymphoid tissue|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.