adrenergic(redirected from adrenergicly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Activated by or capable of releasing epinephrine or a similar substance, especially in the sympathetic nervous system: adrenergic receptors.
2. Having physiological effects similar to those of epinephrine: an adrenergic amine.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Physiology) releasing or activated by adrenaline or an adrenaline-like substance
[C20: adrenaline + Greek ergon work]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ad•ren•er•gic(ˌæd rəˈnɜr dʒɪk)
1. resembling epinephrine in physiological effect: an adrenergic drug.
2. releasing epinephrine: adrenergic neurons.
3. activated by epinephrine or a similar substance: adrenergic receptor.n.
4. a drug or other agent having an epinephrinelike effect. Compare cholinergic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adrenergic - drug that has the effects of epinephrine|
phenylephrine - a powerful vasoconstrictor used to dilate the pupils and relieve nasal congestion
phenylpropanolamine - an adrenergic drug used in many preparations to relieve allergic reactions or respiratory infections; "drugs containing phenylpropanolamine are being recalled"
|Adj.||1.||adrenergic - relating to epinephrine (its release or action)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.