Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. One who has attained maturity or legal age.
2. Biology A fully grown, mature organism.
1. Fully developed and mature.
2. Relating to, intended for, or befitting adults: adult education.
3. Containing or dealing in explicitly sexual material; pornographic: adult movies.
[From Latin adultus, past participle of adolēscere, to grow up; see adolescent.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adulthood - the period of time in your life after your physical growth has stopped and you are fully developed|
time of life - a period of time during which a person is normally in a particular life state
teens - the time of life between the ages of 12 and 20
drinking age - the age at which is legal for a person to buy alcoholic beverages
voting age - the age at which a person is old enough to vote in public elections
middle age - the time of life between youth and old age (e.g., between 40 and 60 years of age)
|2.||adulthood - the state (and responsibilities) of a person who has attained maturity|
manhood - the state of being a man; manly qualities
parentage, parenthood - the state of being a parent; "to everyone's surprise, parenthood reformed the man"