Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to adultness: idleness
1. One who has attained maturity or legal age.
2. Biology A fully grown, mature organism.
1. Fully developed and mature.
2. Relating to, intended for, or befitting adults: adult education.
3. Containing or dealing in explicitly sexual material; pornographic: adult movies.
[From Latin adultus, past participle of adolēscere, to grow up; see adolescent.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the state or quality of being an adult; an impression of maturity
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014