Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Advection of warm moist air over a cooler surface, such as water, causes fog.
1. The transfer of a property of the atmosphere, such as heat, cold, or humidity, by the horizontal movement of an air mass: Today's temperatures were higher due to the advection of warm air into the region.
2. The rate of change of an atmospheric property caused by the horizontal movement of air.
3. The horizontal movement of water, as in an ocean current.
[Latin advectiō, advectiōn-, act of conveying, from advectus, past participle of advehere, to carry to : ad-, ad- + vehere, to carry; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(General Physics) the transference of heat energy in a horizontal stream of gas, esp of air
[C20: from Latin advectiō conveyance, from advehere, from ad- to + vehere to carry]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a shift in temperature, humidity, or the like resulting from horizontal movement of an air mass (disting. from convection).
2. the horizontal flow of air, water, etc.
[1905–10; < Latin advectiō=advec-, variant s. of advehere to convey (ad- ad- + vehere to carry) + -tiō -tion]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the horizontal movement of elements of the atmosphere. Cf. convection. — advective, adj.See also: Atmosphere
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||advection - (meteorology) the horizontal transfer of heat or other atmospheric properties|
meteorology - the earth science dealing with phenomena of the atmosphere (especially weather)
temperature change - a process whereby the degree of hotness of a body (or medium) changes
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.