Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. ad·ver·tised, ad·ver·tis·ing, ad·ver·tis·es
1. To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales. See Synonyms at announce.
2. To make known; call attention to: advertised my intention to resign.
3. To warn or notify: "This event advertises me that there is such a fact as death" (Henry David Thoreau).
1. To call the attention of the public to a product or business.
2. To inquire or seek in a public notice, as in a newspaper: advertise for an apartment.
[Middle English advertisen, to notify, from Old French advertir, advertiss-, to notice; see advert1.]