affixed(redirected from affixedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. af·fixed, af·fix·ing, af·fix·es
1. To secure to something; attach: affix a label to a package.
2. To impute; attribute: affix blame to him.
3. To place at the end; append: affix a postscript to a letter.
4. Linguistics To add as an affix.
1. Something that is attached, joined, or added; an appendage or addition.
2. Linguistics A word element, such as a prefix or suffix, that can only occur attached to a base, stem, or root.
[Medieval Latin affīxāre, frequentative of Latin affīgere, affīx- : ad-, ad- + fīgere, to fasten; see dhīgw- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.