Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. A tag or sheath, as of plastic, on the end of a lace, cord, or ribbon to facilitate its passing through eyelet holes.
2. A similar device used for an ornament.
[Middle English, from Old French aguillette, diminutive of aguille, needle, from Vulgar Latin *acūcula, from Late Latin acucula, diminutive of Latin acus, needle; see ak- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a metal sheath or tag at the end of a shoelace, ribbon, etc
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a variant spelling of aiguillette
3. (Clothing & Fashion) any ornamental pendant
[C15: from Old French aiguillette a small needle]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a tag or ornament at the ends of a shoelace, cord, ribbon, etc.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
aglet- The plastic or metal covering on the end of a shoelace (formerly called the point) that makes it easier to thread through the eyelet holes.
See also related terms for plastic.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aglet - metal or plastic sheath over the end of a shoelace or ribbon|
sheath - a protective covering (as for a knife or sword)
|2.||aglet - ornamental tagged cord or braid on the shoulder of a uniform|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.