agnate(redirected from agnately)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Related on or descended from the father's or male side.
2. Coming from a common source; akin.
A relative on the father's or male side only.
[Latin agnātus, past participle of agnāscī, to become an agnate : ad-, ad- + nāscī, to be born; see genə- in Indo-European roots.]
ag·nat′ic (ăg-năt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Law) related by descent from a common male ancestor
2. related in any way; cognate
(Law) a male or female descendant by male links from a common male ancestor
[C16: from Latin agnātus born in addition, added by birth, from agnāsci, from ad- in addition + gnāsci to be born]
agnatic, agnatical adj
1. a relative whose connection is traceable exclusively through males.
2. any male relation on the father's side.adj.
3. related or akin through males or on the father's side.
4. allied or akin.
[1525–35; < Latin a(d)gnātus, orig. past participle of a(d)gnāscī to be born in addition =ad- ad- + (g)nāscī to be born]
ag•nat′ic (-ˈnæt ɪk) ag•nat′i•cal, adj.
ag•na′tion (-ˈneɪ ʃən) n.
a relation through descent on the male side. Cf. cognate. — agnate, agnatic, adj.See also: Relationship
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||agnate - one related on the father's side|
|Adj.||1.||agnate - related on the father's side; "a paternal aunt"|
related - connected by kinship, common origin, or marriage