reticulum(redirected from agranular reticulum)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to agranular reticulum: agranular endoplasmic reticulum
n. pl. re·tic·u·la (-lə)
1. A netlike formation or structure; a network.
2. Zoology The second compartment of the stomach of ruminant mammals, lined with a membrane having honeycombed ridges.
3. Reticulum A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Dorado and Horologium.
[Latin rēticulum, diminutive of rēte, net.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Anatomy) any fine network, esp one in the body composed of cells, fibres, etc
2. (Zoology) the second compartment of the stomach of ruminants, situated between the rumen and psalterium
[C17: from Latin: little net, from rēte net]
n, Latin genitive Reticuli (rɪˈtɪkjʊˌlaɪ)
(Astronomy) a small constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Dorado and Hydrus
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•tic•u•lum(rɪˈtɪk yə ləm)
n., pl. -la (-lə).
1. a network; any reticulated system or structure.
a. a network of intercellular fibers in certain tissues.
b. a network of structures in the endoplasm or nucleus of certain cells.
3. the second stomach of cows and other ruminants, into which the coarse food regurgitated from the rumen is reswallowed.
[1650–60; < Latin rēticulum little net; see reticle]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The second division of the stomach in ruminant animals, which together with the rumen contains microorganisms that digest fiber. The reticulum's contents are regurgitated for further chewing as part of the cud. See more at ruminant.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Reticulum - a small constellation in the southern hemisphere near Dorado and Hydrus|
|2.||reticulum - any fine network (especially one in the body composed of cells or blood vessels)|
neural net, neural network - any network of neurons or nuclei that function together to perform some function in the body
|3.||reticulum - the second compartment of the stomach of a ruminant|
ruminant - any of various cud-chewing hoofed mammals having a stomach divided into four (occasionally three) compartments
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.