Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Relating to the cultivation of land; agricultural: an agrarian economy.
2. Relating to or concerning the land and its ownership, cultivation, and tenure: agrarian reform.
A person who favors equitable distribution of land.
[From Latin agrārius, relating to the land, from ager, agr-, field; see agro- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Agriculture) of or relating to land or its cultivation or to systems of dividing landed property
2. (Agriculture) of or relating to rural or agricultural matters
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person who favours the redistribution of landed property
[C16: from Latin agrārius, from ager field, land]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•grar•i•an(əˈgrɛər i ən)
1. relating to land, land tenure, or the division of landed property.
2. pertaining to the promotion of agricultural interests: an agrarian movement.
3. composed of or pertaining to farmers: an agrarian co-op.
4. rural; agricultural.n.
5. a person who favors the equal division of landed property and the promotion of agricultural interests.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Being or belonging to a society based on cultivating crops.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||agrarian - relating to rural matters; "an agrarian (or agricultural) society"; "farming communities"|
rural - living in or characteristic of farming or country life; "rural people"; "large rural households"; "unpaved rural roads"; "an economy that is basically rural"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective agricultural, country, land, farming, rural, rustic, agrestic a highly developed agrarian economy
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
A. ADJ → agrario
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
agrarian[əˈgrɛərɪən] adj [reform, economy, society] → agraire
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
agrarian[əˈgrɛərɪən] adj → agrario/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995