ala(redirected from ala major ossis sphenoidalis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to ala major ossis sphenoidalis: corpus ossis sphenoidalis, processus pterygoideus ossis sphenoidalis, Spina ossis sphenoidalis
n. pl. a·lae (ā′lē)
1. Zoology A wing or winglike structure or part.
2. Anatomy A flat, winglike anatomic process or part, especially of bone.
3. Botany The flattened border of some stems, fruits, and seeds, or either one of the two side petals of certain flowers in the pea family.
[Latin āla, wing.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl alae (ˈeɪliː)
1. (Zoology) zoology a wing or flat winglike process or structure, such as a part of some bones and cartilages
2. (Botany) botany a winglike part, such as one of the wings of a sycamore seed or one of the flat petals of a sweet pea flower
[C18: from Latin āla a wing]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or a la(ˈɑ lɑ, ˈɑ lə, ˈæl ə)
in the manner or style of: a short poem à la Ogden Nash; tuna à la provençale.
[1580–90; < French]
n., pl. a•lae (ˈeɪ li)
1. a wing.
2. one of a pair of various winglike structures or processes, as the top of a hipbone or a side petal of certain flowers.
[1730–40; < Latin: wing, armpit, shoulder, representing *aks-lā, derivative of same base as axis axle (see axis1); see axle]
1. American Library Association.
2. Associate in Liberal Arts.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ala - a flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism; "the alae of the nose"; "the alae of a maple seed"; "the flat petals of a pea blossom are alae"|
|2.||ala - a wing of an insect |
wing - a movable organ for flying (one of a pair)
insect - small air-breathing arthropod
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.