ala(redirected from ala spuria)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. a·lae (ā′lē)
1. Zoology A wing or winglike structure or part.
2. Anatomy A flat, winglike anatomic process or part, especially of bone.
3. Botany The flattened border of some stems, fruits, and seeds, or either one of the two side petals of certain flowers in the pea family.
[Latin āla, wing.]
n, pl alae (ˈeɪliː)
1. (Zoology) zoology a wing or flat winglike process or structure, such as a part of some bones and cartilages
2. (Botany) botany a winglike part, such as one of the wings of a sycamore seed or one of the flat petals of a sweet pea flower
[C18: from Latin āla a wing]
or a la(ˈɑ lɑ, ˈɑ lə, ˈæl ə)
in the manner or style of: a short poem à la Ogden Nash; tuna à la provençale.
[1580–90; < French]
n., pl. a•lae (ˈeɪ li)
1. a wing.
2. one of a pair of various winglike structures or processes, as the top of a hipbone or a side petal of certain flowers.
[1730–40; < Latin: wing, armpit, shoulder, representing *aks-lā, derivative of same base as axis axle (see axis1); see axle]
1. American Library Association.
2. Associate in Liberal Arts.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ala - a flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism; "the alae of the nose"; "the alae of a maple seed"; "the flat petals of a pea blossom are alae"|
|2.||ala - a wing of an insect |
wing - a movable organ for flying (one of a pair)
insect - small air-breathing arthropod