albumin


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to albumin: egg albumin

albumin

a class of simple, sulfur-containing, water-soluble proteins
Not to be confused with:
albumen – the white of an egg

al·bu·min

 (ăl-byo͞o′mĭn)
n.
Any of a class of water-soluble proteins that are found in egg white, blood serum, milk, and many other animal and plant tissues. Also called albumen.


al·bu′mi·nous adj.

albumin

(ˈælbjʊmɪn) or

albumen

n
(Biochemistry) any of a group of simple water-soluble proteins that are coagulated by heat and are found in blood plasma, egg white, etc
[C19: from albumen + -in]

al•bu•min

or al•bu•men

(ælˈbyu mən)

n.
any of a class of simple, sulfur-containing, water-soluble proteins that coagulate when heated, occurring in egg white, milk, blood, and other animal and vegetable tissues and secretions.
(album (en) + -in1]

al·bu·min

(ăl-byo͞o′mĭn)
A class of proteins found in egg white, milk, blood, and various other plant and animal tissues. Albumins dissolve in water and form solid or semisolid masses when heated.
albumen, albumin - Albumen is the white of an egg, from Latin albus, "white"; albumin is a protein within the albumen.
See also related terms for protein.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.albumin - a simple water-soluble protein found in many animal tissues and liquids
ricin, ricin toxin - a toxic protein extracted from castor beans; used as a chemical reagent; can be used as a bioweapon; "one milligram of ricin can kill an adult"
lactalbumin - albumin occurring in milk
serum albumin - albumin occurring in blood serum; serves to maintain the somatic pressure of the blood
simple protein - a protein that yields only amino acids when hydrolyzed
Translations

al·bu·min

[MIM*103600]
n. albúmina, componente proteínico.

albumin

n albúmina
References in periodicals archive ?
Low levels of serum albumin have been associated with higher rates of mortality in different acute and chronic conditions.
The team was curious why serum albumin generally is not a part of routine testing for laparoscopic hysterectomy.
quality control of the drug albumin by the parameters potassium - ion, sodium - ion, osmolality 60 times (a), 6 838.
The LADR platform integrates the company's proprietary linker chemistry with albumin biology to create anti-cancer molecules.
An index which may be able to quantify glomerulo - tubular function is albumin: creatinine ratio (ACR).
Fructosamine reflects the binding of glucose to all serum proteins, predominately albumin but also other proteins including globulins and lipoproteins.
Albumin is a major determinant of colloids osmotic pressure.
Albumin circulates throughout the body at high concentrations and is normally filtered by the kidney; however, in some disease states the kidney allows the protein to pass and be excreted into urine.
PT and serum bilirubin significantly increased, while serum albumin significantly decreased in all groups from MCTP class A-D (p0.05).
About 80% of protein-bound calcium is associated with albumin, with the remaining 20% associated with globulins.
Glycated Albumin (GA) is referred to the albumin to which glucose has bonded and is tested to determine the sugar level in the blood.
Serum albumin, the most abundant circulating proteins in the body, plays a very important role in maintaining the osmotic pressure in blood vessels.