Alexandrian(redirected from alexandrianly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to Alexander the Great: the Alexandrian conquests.
2. Of or relating to Alexandria, Egypt.
3. Of, characteristic of, or belonging to a learned school of Hellenistic literature, science, and philosophy located at Alexandria in the last three centuries bc.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to Alexander the Great
2. (Historical Terms) of or relating to Alexandria in Egypt
3. (Historical Terms) relating to the Hellenistic philosophical, literary, and scientific ideas that flourished in Alexandria in the last three centuries bc
4. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) (of writers, literary works, etc) erudite and imitative rather than original or creative
(Placename) a native or inhabitant of Alexandria
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Al•ex•an•dri•an(ˌæl ɪgˈzæn dri ən, -ˈzɑn-)
1. of or pertaining to Alexandria, esp. Alexandria, Egypt.
3. of or pertaining to Alexander the Great or the period of his rule.n.
4. a native or resident of Alexandria, esp. Alexandria, Egypt.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Alexandrian - a resident or native of Alexandria (especially Alexandria in Egypt)|
|Adj.||1.||Alexandrian - of or relating to Alexander the Great or his empire|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.