Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to all-: All-in-One PC
Variant of allo-.
a variant of allo-
1. the whole or full amount of: all the cake; all year.
2. the whole number of: all students; all kinds.
3. the greatest possible: with all speed.
4. any; any whatever: beyond all doubt.
5. entirely; purely: The coat is all wool.
6. dominated by a particular feature: The colt was all legs.
7. Pennsylvania German Area. consumed; finished: The pie is all.pron.
8. the whole quantity or amount: Did you eat all of the peanuts?
9. the whole number; every one: all of us.
10. everything: Is that all you've got to say?n.
11. one's whole interest, energy, or property: Give it your all.
12. the entire area, place, environment, or the like: all is calm.adv.
13. wholly; entirely: all alone; all for a better government.
14. each; apiece: The score was one all.Idioms:
1. all but, almost; very nearly: These batteries are all but dead.
2. all in, very tired; exhausted.
3. all in all, everything considered; in general: All in all, her health is improved.
4. all out, energetically and enthusiastically: to go all out to win the game.
5. all the better, so much the better.
6. all there, mentally competent.
7. and all, and so forth: What with the late hour and all, we must leave.
8. at all,
a. in the slightest degree.
b. for any reason: Why bother at all?
9. for all (that), in spite of (that); notwithstanding: For all that, it was a good year.
10. in all, all included; all together.
11. as all get-out, Informal. to an extreme degree, condition, etc.
[before 900; Middle English al, pl. alle; Old English eal(l), c. Old Frisian al, Old Saxon, Old High German al(l), Old Norse allr, Gothic alls]
usage: Expressions like all the farther and all the higher occur chiefly in informal speech: This is all the farther the bus goes. That's all the higher she can jump. Elsewhere as far as and as high as are generally used: as far as the bus goes; as high as she can jump. The construction all of (all of the students; all of the contracts) is entirely standard. Some people object to it, however, and omit the of. See also already, alright, altogether.
var. of allo- before a vowel: allonym.
all-[ɔːl] PREFIX all-American → típicamente americano, americano cien por cien
all-leather → todo cuero
with an all-Chinese cast → con un reparto totalmente chino
there will be an all-Spanish final → en la final figurarán únicamente españoles
it's an all-woman show → es un espectáculo enteramente femenino
El término all-American se usa para referirse a los deportistas universitarios que son seleccionados por su habilidad en un deporte determinado para formar parte de un equipo nacional, equipo que no compite como tal, ya que es sólo un título honorífico. De estos equipos, el que recibe mayor publicidad es el de fútbol americano.
Este término se usa también para hacer referencia a una persona que representa el ideal de la clase media norteamericana, como cuando se dice, por ejemplo: he is a fine, upstanding all-American boy.