Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or resembling onion, garlic, or similar plants of the genus Allium, particularly in taste and smell.
[Latin allium, garlic; see allium + -aceous.]
1. (Botany) of or relating to Allium, a genus of plants that have a strong onion or garlic smell and often have bulbs: family Alliaceae. The genus occurs in the N hemisphere and includes onion, garlic, leek, chive, and shallot
2. tasting or smelling like garlic or onions
3. (Botany) of, relating to, or belonging to the Alliaceae, a family of flowering plants that includes the genus Allium
[C18: from Latin allium garlic; see -aceous]
al•li•a•ceous(ˌæl iˈeɪ ʃəs)
1. Bot. of or belonging to the genus Allium. Compare allium.
2. having the odor or taste of garlic, onion, etc.
[1785–95; < Latin alli(um) garlic + -aceous]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||alliaceous - of or pertaining to the botanical genus Allium; "onions, leeks, garlic, chives are alliaceous plants"|
|2.||alliaceous - smelling of onions or garlic |
odorous - having odor or a characteristic odor; "odorous jasmine flowers"; "odorous garbage"; "fresh odorous bread"