allophone(redirected from allophonically)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Linguistics A predictable phonetic variant of a phoneme. For example, the aspirated t of top, the unaspirated t of stop, and the tt (pronounced as a flap) of batter are allophones of the English phoneme /t/.
2. or Allophone Canadian A person whose native language is other than French or English.
al′lo·phon′ic (-fŏn′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Phonetics & Phonology) any of several speech sounds that are regarded as contextual or environmental variants of the same phoneme. In English the aspirated initial (p) in pot and the unaspirated (p) in spot are allophones of the phoneme /p/
2. Canadian a Canadian whose native language is neither French nor English
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a speech sound constituting one of the phonetic manifestations or variants of a phoneme, depending on its environment, as any of the t-sounds of top, stop, tree, cat, button, metal, or city.
2. Canadian. a person whose native language is neither English nor French.
al`lo•phon′ic (-ˈfɒn ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||allophone - (linguistics) any of various acoustically different forms of the same phoneme|
linguistics - the scientific study of language
phoneme - (linguistics) one of a small set of speech sounds that are distinguished by the speakers of a particular language
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
allophone[ˈæləʊfəʊn] N → alófono m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Ling) → Allophon nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007