Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to alloying: Alloying elements
1. A metallic solid or liquid that is composed of a homogeneous mixture of two or more metals or of metals and nonmetal or metalloid elements, usually for the purpose of imparting or increasing specific characteristics or properties: Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper.
2. A mixture; an amalgam: "Television news has ... always been an alloy of journalism and show business" (Bill Moyers).
3. The relative degree of mixture with a base metal; fineness.
4. Something added that lowers value or purity.
tr.v. (ə-loi′, ăl′oi′) al·loyed, al·loy·ing, al·loys
1. To combine (metals) to form an alloy.
2. To combine; mix: idealism that was alloyed with political skill.
3. To debase by the addition of an inferior element.
(Metallurgy) relating to, or used in, alloying