Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to alpaca: Alpaca silver
n. pl. alpaca or al·pac·as
1. A domesticated South American ruminant mammal (Vicugna pacos or Lama pacos), related to the llama and having fine, long wool.
a. The silky wool of this mammal.
b. Cloth made from alpaca.
3. A fabric that imitates alpaca, made from various natural or synthetic fibers.
[American Spanish, from Aymara and Quechua allpaqa.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) a domesticated cud-chewing artiodactyl mammal, Lama pacos, closely related to the llama and native to South America: family Camelidae. Its dark shaggy hair is a source of wool
2. (Textiles) the cloth made from the wool of this animal
3. (Textiles) a glossy fabric simulating this, used for linings, etc
[C18: via Spanish from Aymara allpaca]
alpaca(ælˈpækə) or sometimes
1. (Jewellery) a type of nickel silver used in jewellery
2. (Elements & Compounds) a type of nickel silver used in jewellery
[of uncertain origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -pac•as.
1. a domesticated South American hoofed mammal, Lama pacos, having long, soft, silky fleece, related to the llama and believed to be a variety of the guanaco.
2. the fleece of this animal.
3. a yarn or fabric made of it.
4. any fabric simulating alpaca wool cloth.
[1805–15; < Sp < Aymara allpaqa]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||alpaca - wool of the alpaca |
wool - fiber sheared from animals (such as sheep) and twisted into yarn for weaving
|2.||alpaca - a thin glossy fabric made of the wool of the Lama pacos, or made of a rayon or cotton imitation of that wool|
|3.||alpaca - domesticated llama with long silky fleece; believed to be a domesticated variety of the guanaco|
llama - wild or domesticated South American cud-chewing animal related to camels but smaller and lacking a hump
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
alpaca[ælˈpækə] N → alpaca f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
modif (= wool) [coat, sweater] → en alpaga
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
alpaca[ælˈpækə] n (animal, wool) → alpaca m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995