amalgam(redirected from amalgam condenser, amalgam plugger)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to amalgam condenser, amalgam plugger: amalgam carrier, amalgam carver, ball burnisher, amalgam burnisher
1. Any of various alloys of mercury with other metals, especially:
a. An alloy of mercury and silver used in dental fillings.
b. An alloy of mercury and tin used in silvering mirrors.
2. A combination of diverse elements; a mixture: an amalgam of strength, reputation, and commitment to ethical principles.
[Middle English, from Old French amalgame, from Medieval Latin amalgama, probably ultimately from Greek malagma, soft mass.]
1. (Elements & Compounds) an alloy of mercury with another metal, esp with silver: dental amalgam.
2. (Minerals) a rare white metallic mineral that consists of silver and mercury and occurs in deposits of silver and cinnabar
3. a blend or combination
[C15: from Medieval Latin amalgama, of obscure origin]
1. an alloy of mercury with another metal or metals.
2. an alloy chiefly of silver mixed with mercury and variable amounts of other metals, used as a dental filling.
3. a mixture or combination.
[1425–75; < Middle French < Medieval Latin amalgama]
An alloy of mercury and another metal, especially silver, commonly used in dental fillings.
Amalgaman alloy of a metal or metals—Wilkes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||amalgam - an alloy of mercury with another metal (usually silver) used by dentists to fill cavities in teeth; except for iron and platinum all metals dissolve in mercury and chemists refer to the resulting mercury mixtures as amalgams|
|2.||amalgam - a combination or blend of diverse things; "his theory is an amalgam of earlier ideas"|
combination - a collection of things that have been combined; an assemblage of separate parts or qualities