Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Impregnation with ammonia or an ammonium compound.
2. Production of ammonia or ammonium compounds in the decomposition of organic matter, especially through the action of bacteria.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, -fies, -fying or -fied
(Chemistry) to treat or impregnate with ammonia or a compound of ammonia
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
am•mon•i•fy(əˈmɒn əˌfaɪ, əˈmoʊ nə-)
v. -fied, -fy•ing. v.t.
1. to combine or impregnate with ammonia.
2. to form into ammonia or ammonium compounds.v.i.
3. to become ammonified; produce ammonification.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: ammonified
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||ammonify - treat with ammonia; cause to undergo ammonification|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.