ampulla(redirected from ampulla chyli)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. am·pul·lae (-po͝ol′ē, -pŭl′ē)
1. A nearly round bottle with two handles used by the ancient Romans for wine, oil, or perfume.
2. Ecclesiastical A vessel for consecrated wine or holy oil.
3. Anatomy A small dilatation in a canal or duct, especially one in the semicircular canal of the ear.
[Middle English, from Old English, from Latin, diminutive of amphora; see amphora.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -pullae (-ˈpʊliː)
1. (Anatomy) anatomy the dilated end part of certain ducts or canals, such as the end of a uterine tube
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity
a. a vessel for containing the wine and water used at the Eucharist
b. a small flask for containing consecrated oil
3. (Archaeology) a Roman two-handled bottle for oil, wine, or perfume
[C16: from Latin, diminutive of amphora]
ampullaceous, ˌampulˈlaceal adj
ampullar, ampullary adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
am•pul•la(æmˈpʌl ə, -ˈpʊl ə)
n., pl. -pul•lae (-ˈpʌl i, -ˈpʊl i)
1. a dilated portion of a canal or duct, as of the semicircular canals of the ear.
2. a bottle with a bulbous body and narrow neck, used by the ancient Romans for oil, wine, or other liquids.
[1590–1600; < New Latin, Latin, =amphor(a) amphora + -la diminutive suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ampulla - the dilated portion of a canal or duct especially of the semicircular canals of the ear|
body part - any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
|2.||ampulla - a flask that has two handles; used by Romans for wines or oils|
flask - bottle that has a narrow neck
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n pl <-e> (Hist, Eccl) → Ampulla f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007