Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A volcanic rock containing many amygdules.
adj. also a·myg·da·loi·dal (-loi′dl)
1. Shaped like an almond.
2. Anatomy Of or relating to the amygdala.
3. Resembling a volcanic rock that contains many amygdules.
[Latin amygdala, almond; see amygdala + -oid.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Geological Science) a volcanic igneous rock containing amygdales
1. having the shape of an almond
2. (Geological Science) a less common form of amygdaloidal1
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a volcanic rock in which rounded cavities formed by the expansion of gas or steam have later become filled with deposits of various minerals.adj.
2. Also, a•myg`da•loi′dal. almond-shaped.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||amygdaloid - volcanic rock in which rounded cavities formed by expanding gas have subsequently become filled with mineral deposits|
volcanic rock - extrusive igneous rock solidified near or on the surface of the Earth
|Adj.||1.||amygdaloid - shaped like an almond |
rounded - curving and somewhat round in shape rather than jagged; "low rounded hills"; "rounded shoulders"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.