amyloid(redirected from amyloid AA)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A starchlike substance.
a. An insoluble, fibrous structure consisting chiefly of an aggregation of proteins arranged in beta sheets, forming extracellular deposits in organs or tissues and characteristic of certain diseases such as Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
b. The substance that makes up such a structure.
2. Being or related to proteinaceous amyloid: amyloid plaque.
1. (Biochemistry) pathol a complex protein resembling starch, deposited in tissues in some degenerative diseases
2. any substance resembling starch
1. a waxy, translucent substance, composed primarily of protein fibers, that is deposited in various organs of animals in certain diseases.
2. a nonnitrogenous food consisting esp. of starch.adj.
3. of, resembling, or containing amylum.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||amyloid - a non-nitrogenous food substance consisting chiefly of starch; any substance resembling starch|
|2.||amyloid - (pathology) a waxy translucent complex protein resembling starch that results from degeneration of tissue|
pathology - the branch of medical science that studies the causes and nature and effects of diseases
protein - any of a large group of nitrogenous organic compounds that are essential constituents of living cells; consist of polymers of amino acids; essential in the diet of animals for growth and for repair of tissues; can be obtained from meat and eggs and milk and legumes; "a diet high in protein"
|Adj.||1.||amyloid - resembling starch|
starchy - consisting of or containing starch; "starchy foods"
n. amiloide, proteína que se asemeja a los almidones;
___ degeneration → degeneración ___;
___ disease → enfermedad ___;
___ kidney → riñón ___;
___ nephrosis → nefrosis ___.