Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Upward; up: anabolism.
2. Backward; back: anaplasia.
3. Again; anew: anaphylaxis.
ana-or before a vowel
1. up; upwards: anadromous.
2. again: anagram.
3. back; backwards: anatropous.
[from Greek ana]
an•a(ˈæn ə, ˈɑ nə)
1. a collection of miscellaneous information about a subject, person, place, or thing.
2. an item in such a collection, as an anecdote.
[1720–30; independent use of -ana]
a prefix occurring orig. in verbs and verbal derivatives borrowed from Greek, usu. denoting upward or backward motion ( anadromous), completion ( analysis; anatomy), or repetition (anamorphosis).Also, before a vowel, an-.
[< Greek, comb. form of aná]
a suffix that forms collective nouns denoting an assembly of items representative of or associated with the place, person, or period named by the stem: Americana; Shakespeareana; Victoriana.
[< Latin, neuter pl. of -ānus -an1]
1. American Newspaper Association.
2. American Nurses Association.
3. Association of National Advertisers.