ancien régime(redirected from ancien regime)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
an·cien ré·gime(äN-syăN′ rā-zhēm′)
1. The political and social system that existed in France before the Revolution of 1789.
2. pl. an·ciens ré·gimes (äN-syăN′ rā-zhēm′) A sociopolitical or other system that no longer exists.
[French : ancien, old + régime, regime.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
ancien régime(ɑ̃sjɛ̃ reʒim)
n, pl anciens régimes (ɑ̃sjɛ̃ reʒim)
1. (Historical Terms) the political and social system of France before the Revolution of 1789
2. a former or outdated regime
[literally: old regime]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
an•cien ré•gime(ɑ̃ syɛ̃ reɪˈʒim)
1. the political and social system of France before the revolution of 1789.
2. any former political and social system.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The name given to the social system in force in France before 1789.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ancien regime - a political and social system that no longer governs (especially the system that existed in France before the French Revolution)|
authorities, government, regime - the organization that is the governing authority of a political unit; "the government reduced taxes"; "the matter was referred to higher authorities"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.