Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
being both male and female; hermaphroditic; having an ambiguous sexual identity
Not to be confused with:
androgenous – tending to produce male offspring; capable of developing certain male sexual characteristics
1. Biology Having both female and male characteristics; hermaphroditic.
2. Being neither distinguishably masculine nor feminine, as in dress, appearance, or behavior.
[From Latin androgynus, hermaphrodite, from Greek androgunos : andro-, andro- + gunē, woman; see -gynous.]
an·drog′y·ny (-ə-nē) n.
1. (Botany) botany having male and female flowers in the same inflorescence, as cuckoo pint
2. (Biology) having male and female characteristics; hermaphrodite
an•drog•y•nous(ænˈdrɒdʒ ə nəs)
2. having both masculine and feminine characteristics.
an′dro•gyne` (-drəˌdʒaɪn) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||androgynous - relating to or exhibiting both female and male sex organs but with a predominantly female appearance|
|2.||androgynous - having both male and female characteristics|
female - being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces fertilizable gametes (ova) from which offspring develop; "a female heir"; "female holly trees bear the berries"
male - being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that perform the fertilizing function in generation; "a male infant"; "a male holly tree"
androgynous[ænˈdrɒdʒɪnəs] ADJ → andrógino
adj → androgyn, zwitt(e)rig
androgynous[ænˈdrɒdʒɪnəs] adj (Bio) (frm) → androgino/a
a. androginoide, que tiene las características de ambos sexos.