Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to anhydride: phthalic anhydride, Succinic anhydride, Maleic anhydride, Propionic anhydride, basic anhydride
A chemical compound formed from another, often an acid, by the removal of water.
1. (Chemistry) a compound that has been formed from another compound by dehydration
2. (Chemistry) a compound that forms an acid or base when added to water
3. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: acid anhydride or acyl anhydride any organic compound containing the group -CO.O.CO- formed by removal of one water molecule from two carboxyl groups
[C19: from anhydr(ous) + -ide]
an•hy•dride(ænˈhaɪ draɪd, -drɪd)
1. a compound formed by removing water from a more complex compound.
2. a compound from which water has been abstracted.
A chemical compound formed from another, especially an acid, by the removal of water.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anhydride - a compound formed from one or more other compounds in a reaction resulting in removal of water|
acetic anhydride - a compound that is needed in order to refine opium into heroin
phthalic anhydride - a white cyclic anhydride