Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to ante-: Ante Pavelic
1. Prior to; earlier: antenatal.
2. In front of; before: anteroom.
before in time or position; previous to; in front of: antedate; antechamber.
n., v. -ted -teed, -te•ing. n.
1. a fixed but arbitrary stake in poker put into the pot by each player before the deal.
2. an individual's share of the total expenses incurred by a group.
3. the price or cost of something.v.t.
4. (in poker) to put (one's initial stake) into the pot.
5. to produce or pay (one's share) (usu. fol. by up).v.i.
6. (in poker) to put one's initial stake into the pot.
7. to pay (usu. fol. by up).
[1830–40, Amer.; independent use of ante-]
a prefix meaning “happening before” (antediluvian), “located in front of” (anteroom).
pref → vor-