Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to ante-: Ante Pavelic
ante-(word root) before
Examples of words with the root ante-: antecedent
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Prior to; earlier: antenatal.
2. In front of; before: anteroom.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
before in time or position; previous to; in front of: antedate; antechamber.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -ted -teed, -te•ing. n.
1. a fixed but arbitrary stake in poker put into the pot by each player before the deal.
2. an individual's share of the total expenses incurred by a group.
3. the price or cost of something.v.t.
4. (in poker) to put (one's initial stake) into the pot.
5. to produce or pay (one's share) (usu. fol. by up).v.i.
6. (in poker) to put one's initial stake into the pot.
7. to pay (usu. fol. by up).
[1830–40, Amer.; independent use of ante-]
a prefix meaning “happening before” (antediluvian), “located in front of” (anteroom).
[< Latin, prefixal form of preposition and adv. ante; akin to Greek antí, Old English and- against, toward, opposite. See answer, and, anti-]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
pref → vor-
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007