Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Antichrist: illuminati
1. Antichrist The great enemy of Christ expected by the early Church and historically by many branches of Christianity to rise to power in the last days before the Second Coming.
2. One who actively denies or opposes Christianity.
3. A false Christ.
[Middle English Antecrist, from Old French and from Old English, both from Late Latin Antichrīstus, from Late Greek Antikhrīstos : Greek anti-, anti- + Greek Khrīstos, Christ; see Christ.]
1. (Bible) New Testament the antagonist of Christ, expected by early Christians to appear and reign over the world until overthrown at Christ's Second Coming
2. (Theology) (sometimes not capital) an enemy of Christ or Christianity
1. a personage or power expected to corrupt the world but be conquered by Christ's Second Coming.
2. (often l.c.)
a. any opponent of or disbeliever in Christ.
b. a false Christ.
[before 1150; Middle English, Old English < Late Latin Antichrīstus < Late Greek Antíchrīstos]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Antichrist - (Christianity) the adversary of Christ (or Christianity) mentioned in the New Testament; the Antichrist will rule the world until overthrown by the Second Coming of Christ|