Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Sloping downward in opposite directions, as in an anticline.
2. Botany Of or relating to the plane of a cell division perpendicular to the surface of a plant organ.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) of, relating to, or resembling an anticline
2. (Botany) botany of or relating to the plane at right angles to the surface of an organ
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
an•ti•cli•nal(ˌæn tɪˈklaɪn l)
1. inclining in opposite directions from a central axis.
a. inclining downward on both sides from a median line or axis, as a fold of rock strata.
b. pertaining to such a fold.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||anticlinal - sloping downward away from a common crest|
geology - a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
synclinal - sloping downward toward each other to create a trough
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.